View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 13:03   #43
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
Re: The "I want a website" Guide

Quick question, the original guide says this forum is hosted by I-web solutions
Is that on a dedicated plan? or one of their listed shared linux/windows plans?
Seems awfully fast if on a shared plan (which is great :P)

From my own experience, if you want to register a com/net/org domain, go with Godaddy.
I've had little to no hassle with them and they seem to be the cheapest to goto
I had an associate of mine who used to work for them, he told me they make nothing from their sales of domains, which is why they're so cheap, but because of that, they try to convince you to buy other things during the registration process
But you do have full control of the domains, their control panel for managing domains is very extensive.

Hosting wise? depends on who you want to go with
There's plenty of free or cheap shared hosting plans in the UK, but once you move into the VPS/Dedicated arena, costs SOAR
If you're concerned about the cost, but want a dedicated or VPS server at a fair price...get one from the USA
But aim for a company who's datacentre is located on the east coast (lower latency/quicker response time)
My server is based in Dallas, Texas in the USA (West coast), but latency is AOK (Click link in signature to test loading time/responsiveness)

As for who to go with? check out www.webhostingtalk.com
You'll find reviews (Both bad and good) of hosting companies, you'll also find special deals posted in their "Hosting offers" forums by companies, which you sometimes don't find on their sites.

I have my own VPS, with 512mb of dedicated ram, 600gb of bandwith and a 60gb disk, it costs me roughly £21/$42 a month and is well worth it.
I use SLHost.com as my host.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote