Thread: Climate Change
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2023, 09:29   #477
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Climate Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I am looking forward to having less bins and cheaper meat due to no meat tax…

This is a pure knee jerk reaction to the election result in Uxbridge where ULEZ was a big issue. Suddenly there’s a feeling that dropping green policies is a vote winner. This may well be the case for older, more traditionally conservative voters but not so much for younger voters.
Quote:
Where did the meat tax idea come from?
Rishi Sunak was questioned on Today this morning about why he said he had ruled out a so-called "meat tax".

Asked by Nick Robinson where this proposal had come from, the PM said the government's Climate Change Committee had called for ministers to "implement measures" for "accelerated change in diets".

As pointed out by the i paper's Paul Waugh, the Climate Change Committee in its report calls for "low-cost, low-regret" action to reduce meat consumption - not a proposed meat tax.

The full recommendation from the report, published in June, is: "Take low-cost, low-regret actions to encourage a 20% shift away from all meat by 2030, rising to 35% by 2050, and a 20% shift from dairy products by 2030, demonstrating leadership in the public sector whilst improving health."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-p...ost_type=share

So, it appears three out of the five measures being cancelled never were going to happen anyway…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote