View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 18:04   #20
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: help with netbook connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnan View Post
Hi Rob, thanks for your reply but I wasn't thinking of a router. I have found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/RJ45-Network...2366289&sr=1-1 this is what I was thinking of.Would it be suitable for what I want it for do you think?
Hmmm.....

You'd need to connect that to the modem, and then have an ethernet cable coming from each output to the two devices that you want to connect.

In theory it should accomplish what you're trying to accomplish, obviously you a) wouldn't be able to have both devices connected and powered up at the same time or it would right royally screw things up, and b) would still have to power down each device and the Cable Modem before connecting the next one.

Provided you're happy with those limitations (and you will start to find them limiting and irritating given time ) you should be able to get it to work the way you're describing using that bit of kit.

As Paul says though "You would be best off with a router"

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

I know I'm repeating myself, but you would need to be very careful not to have the two devices connected both to the splitter at the same time - on the understanding that you're only planning on having one powered on and working at a time this should work.

Better still, instead of unplugging the end that's at the PC why not just unplug the end of the cable that goes into the Cable Modem. Get yourself a second ethernet cable (Cat 5) and when you want to connect the netbook unplug the one from PC to Cable Modem at the end where it's connected to the Modem and then just plug your netbook in there directly.

Saves you having to bugger around climbing behind the PC, I'm assuming access to the Cable Modem is less of a problem?

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Also, doing that saves you buying a splitter at all.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote