Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2021, 10:52   #6768
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From your link…

With our help, they can vaccinate more and quicker, thus reducing the change of further adverse mutations (also reducing sickness, hospitalisations, and deaths, hopefully).
That's not down to the capacity they have now or could have with government direction, but existing orders and commitments to other countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

I wonder whether or not India has got itself conflicted on hard currency arising from vaccine sales and prioritisation of inoculating the Indian population.

I would have thought that whatever the UK could contribute would be a drop in the ocean, although it might really be intended for political purposes.

Looking at this cynically, Covid might be a nice little earner for India as well as introducing a degree of population control/reduction.
BBC story on it here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57007004
Quote:
Between January and May 2021, India bought roughly 350 million doses of the two approved vaccines - the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab, manufactured as Covishield by the Serum Institute of India (SII), and Covaxin by Indian firm Bharat Biotech. At $2 per dose, they were among the cheapest in the world, but not nearly enough to inoculate even 20% of the country's population.

Declaring that India had defeated Covid, Mr Modi even took to "vaccine diplomacy", exporting more jabs than were administered in India by March.

Last edited by BenMcr; 28-07-2021 at 10:58.