Thread: Nuclear Fusion
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2021, 14:30   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I guess I have assumed the roll of the forum Ostrich, burying my head in a none existent Nuclear Bunker, and didn't like to question whether there would be a potential threat to world safety if the Nuclear Fusion could be weaponised let alone us risk your scenario Jay.

(sorry for 'longest sentence of the day' competition entry)
Fusion is already weaponised in modern nuclear weapons. These use a small nuclear fission explosion to create the pressure (via x-rays) necessary to fuse hydrogen. The first hydrogen bombs (a.k.a. 'H-bomb') were detonated by the US in the very early 1950s. The Hiroshima bomb was a fission weapon and yielded about 16 kilotons. The biggest fusion weapon ever demonstrated was the USSR's Tsar Bomba in the early 1960s, which yielded 50 megatons.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote