View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 16:20   #75
tizmeinnit

Re: Time to Spring Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I think it also depends upon the application, when I originally put the OS on this computer and then Office 2000. Word would launch in about 1 second, now a few years and lots of applications later it now takes 10 seconds plus. This has to be inefficient registry scanning by Word to find it's components.

By contrast self contained apps, often written in GPL, make little or no use of the registry and their launch times are unaffected.

IIRC the latest versions of Windows now makes much less use of registry entries in favour of config files with the app in it's own directory. Going back to the original .ini files.
fragmented hard drive, bloated running processes,bloated temp files cache files and precached files, higher impacted page file. All other reasons a pc slows after time which all would be more likely to effect the opening of an application than reading the registry entires off a tiny database file

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well i dont care what anyone says OFFICIALLY,i usually always notice an increase in performance after cleaning excess stuff from the reg so im my opinion THEY EITHER DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT OR ARE MISLEADING PEOPLE (Thinking they will hurt thier computer so its better telling them its not needed)
yeah the 2 guys who I quoted really look like they may not know what they are talking about lmao