View Single Post
Old 16-03-2022, 10:59   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar nominations 2022

I have watched all the films nominated for the major categories and below is the list of peeps I would like to see win. I must say this year's selection was very much a mixed bag. There were some films I was surprised with and were very entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed such as CODA and there were other films which I thought were a complete snooze fest, couldn't understand why anyone would watch them and was just constantly looking at the clock throughout.

The problem I have got this year for the first time is that I am really struggling with the acting categories. I have always looked at them and thought "Fred and Joe don't deserve to be nominated" but it hasn't been a problem because I have always had an obvious and clear choice to choose from but this year I look at the nominees and nobody has blown me away. To make it worse the one person who I would like to win, Emilia Jones from CODA, isn't even flipping nominated. The same goes for Denis Villeneuve as best director. Wtf!

My preference in most of the categories is Dune and it isn't because it is a mainstream film, was one of my favourite films last year or a blockbuster. Having watched all the nominated films I genuinely believe that Dune was the higher achiever and was far superior in the categories it was nominated in. As an example, it is laughable that The Tragedy of Macbeth is sitting next to Dune for Production Design. The one category I am struggling with is Visual Effects because all the nominees, in comparison to every other category, are worthy contenders and I would happily see them win. Once again though when you consider on balance the range of effects shots and variety used in the film, Dune was the clear standout for me.

What do you think?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter)

Best Costume Design
Dune (Jacqueline West)

BEST SOUND
Dune

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Dune (Hans Zimmer)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Dune (Eric Roth, Jon Spaihts & Denis Villeneuve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Don’t Look Up (Adam McKay & David Sirota)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Troy Kotsur (CODA)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
The Eyes of Tammy Faye

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Luca

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
“Dos Oruguitas” — Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Dune (Greig Fraser)

BEST FILM EDITING
Dune (Joe Walker)

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Dune (Zsuzsanna Sipos & Patrice Vermette)

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Dune

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)

BEST ACTOR
Andrew Garfield (Tick, Tick … Boom!)

BEST DIRECTOR
Steven Spielberg (West Side Story)

BEST PICTURE
Dune (it's not going to win so CODA is my runner up)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote