Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 13:25   #642
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I pay £4p/m for Netflix uhd with work arounds
In the office we suspect Discovery will be next to start leaving pay tv platforms and being exclusive to Discovery+ won't happen for awhile as contracts still have quite a bit to run yet.
UKTV are another one to watch been talks about their pay channels being added to UKTVPlay for a small monthly fee.
I think you're right Re: Discovery. Two or three years ago I was privy to a document that showed that the ultimate aim of Discovery was to put everything onto their streaming service and keep only one linear channel to showcase their content.

I wonder if the shares that Malone has been building up in Discovery will have any affect on the Discovery linear channels leaving VM? Probably not given the merger with O2.

Do you know if the UKTV plan is to complement their linear pay channels or replace them? I'm assuming that their FTA linear channels will be unaffected??

It really does seem to be a growing trend for broadcasters to cut out the middle man and retail directly to consumers via streaming apps. Another reason why Sky seem to have taken the sensible approach by embracing them and making the emerging situation work for them as best they can.

In time I can see the pay TV platforms being given no choice but to offer their pay TV element via apps. Instead of packs we could see discounted bundles being offered according to how many apps a person subscribes to.

I doubt this will be as profitable for them; maybe this is why Murdoch sold Sky before the company lost value because of this??