Thread: Tivo V6 Recordings deleting?
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2018, 08:46   #15
hackenbacker
Inactive

hackenbacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The series record option has never let me down, even once.
I've had a V6 for a little over a month now, and series link has let me down a few times.

Partly, there is a problem with how some series are collated - for example, it seems to think the Channel 5's Formula E broadcasts are part of the same series as Eurosport's. And as Channel 5 broadcast it over 5 and 5Spike, and Eurosport potentially over both channels, there is no way to set it to record from one broadcaster or the other properly, so you potentially miss broadcasts, or end up with two recordings at the same time (wasting tuners and space).

The more common problem isn't really one of the series link though - but of the EPG not updating. On one hand, the V6 waits far too long between checking for EPG updates (four hours seems like a reasonable window, but when you have late changes to the schedule it's not), although even manually forcing an update, it's often the case that Virgin's EPG hasn't been updated for a schedule change. So the V6 *thinks* that it has recorded an episode, when in fact it hasn't - and unless you know that, and manually set a recording for when the episode is actually shown, you miss it. On every other system, this isn't a problem - you might still get the initial recording, but when the episode is shown properly at a later date, it will get recorded.

Sometimes the V6 tries to be a bit too smart for it's own good, and they don't seem to have a mechanism to tell it that it was wrong.
hackenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote