View Single Post
Old 14-03-2008, 09:07   #1204
Barkotron
Inactive

Barkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enoughBarkotron will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Postcards, not letters; see posts 1122, 1128 & 1129
No, not postcards. Go back and read those posts you listed, as they explain to you why the packet is a letter not a postcard.

[EDIT: To be honest it's a bogus distinction anyway. Even if it's a postcard, are you seriously suggesting that it would be okay for the Post Office to read the contents of a postcard and sell the information that whoever was sending it had e.g. gone to Greece on holiday and liked the food, so that some junk mail company could send me "Win a holiday" promotions and adverts for feta? The people posting it might be able to read the info, but legally they're not allowed to do anything with it. Even if it's on a postcard - it's none of their damn business where I've been or what my friends and relatives think of their diving trip or whatever. You're right, a postcard you don't have any expectation that it won't be read - however, an expectation that that knowledge will not be exploited for commercial gain is perfectly reasonable.]

I notice you ignored the major substance of my post, which is that the Home Office advice clearly states that this kind of action IS illegal under the RIPA unless it is a) with the explicit consent of both the communicating parties, or b) necessary to provide the contracted service of delivery of communications.