View Single Post
Old 20-07-2019, 09:05   #807
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: What deals did you get on Amazon Prime Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Amazon Prime and yet you are complaining about less than a fiver a month?

This forum gets more perverse every day! What exactly do you think you are paying for your TV licence every year?

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:53 ----------

It is not fair or appropriate to compare Johnson to previous leaders. You and I know that he is a one-off, and therefore you must judge him on what he accomplishes as PM.
Well, we can judge him on what he achieved as Foreign Secretary...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44767848
Quote:
When Mr Johnson was appointed two years ago, there was hope that his charm and intelligence could turn into statesmanship. Diplomats warmed to this multilingual maverick - here at last was a foreign secretary with some political star quality, who could get Britain heard on the international stage.

And certainly at early international meetings, I watched as Mr Johnson was mobbed by fellow ministers seeking selfies with a tousle-haired phenomenon tipped as a future prime minister.

But soon hope turned to disappointment. The repeated gaffes and inappropriate remarks often undermined any progress Mr Johnson made with Britain's allies and opponents. There were the jokes about dead bodies in Libya and the recitation of inappropriate verses by Rudyard Kipling in Myanmar.

And there was his inaccurate suggestion that the detained British Iranian national Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe had been in Iran training journalists, which her family and supporters said had damaged their campaign to secure her release...

...But there was often frustration at the lack of substance. Foreign envoys would sometimes tell me they couldn't fill their telegrams home simply with jokes written by Boris Johnson.

On one occasion, President Sisi of Egypt simply walked out of a meeting with a rather bemused foreign secretary simply because the conversation did not get beyond the pleasantries.
"Personality" and "quirkiness" only goes so far - we need substance as well, and BH has repeatedly been proven to lack that.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.