View Single Post
Old 21-02-2008, 21:54   #170
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 77 & 102]

I've said it before but I thought it needed clarification.

Phorm use a cookie to store your Personal identification number or PIN so. blocking cookies from OIX.net (or indeed all cookies) means no PIN which means no data is collected.

Phorm do not collect urls they classify websites (e.g. "Finance" or "Health and Beauty") and collect and store the classifications.

I don't really think this is very easily tracable as the link between the data and you is stored on your pc, and the data itself is not particularly sensitive. It's a bit like some standing in a street and giving you a flyer for a clothing store after noticing that you had been in several recently and ignoring the next guy because all he had been in was electronics goods shops.

It's fairly easy to stop especially if your router supports url blocking, then you can block all traffic from them for all your pc's. You could also block it from your personal firewall or your browser.

I'm not trying to condone the action but Virgin media is a business and has to be as competitive as possible, network upgrades have to be paid for somehow.