View Single Post
Old 30-11-2019, 16:14   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Millions to be affected by NHS plan to ration 34 everyday tests and treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
How does the above sit with the reserves that Councils hold?

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-r...ast-year/48029

I suspect that the guvmin's squeeze will last until councils have committed reserves to what they claim they are starved of.

343 councils in the UK, and if you take out the GLA, their reserves are £1.1 billion, which works out (on average) as £3.2 million per council - not such a huge reserve (which they use to pay for stuff whilst waiting for Central Government money to arrive).

For instance, my local councile (Leeds, population of around 750k)

Quote:
Overall the council’s usable reserves have risen from £280m in 2017/18 to £312m in 2018/19, an increase of £32m. The majority of these £312m of useable reserves are ring
fenced (£252m) and are not available to support general expenditure. The main ring fenced reserves as at 31st March 2019 are:

o School based reserves £22m;
o Revenue and capital grants received in advance of planned expenditure £142m;
o Housing Revenue Account reserves £22m, statutorily ring fenced to the provision
of local authority housing;
o Major repairs reserve £24m, ring fenced to major repairs to council houses;
o Useable Capital Receipts reserve £42m, to finance capital expenditure, partly ring
fenced to council houses.

The remaining £59m of reserves is made up of the £28m General Fund reserve and
£31m of earmarked reserves.
They have to have some reserves, because, as we have found recently with floods, etc., "stuff happens"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote