Thread: General BBC changes implementation
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2019, 10:02   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
BBC changes implementation

I find the way both the BBC and Virgin Media are handling the various changes odd.

Now I'll put aside the BBC's blame for the moment, as though it's regarding the same event, the BBC2 /BBC Scotland thing, their fault is on Freeview, not Cable platform.

With the previous BBC HD switch VM put up plenty of information on Tivo Info Banners and the like.

With the recent STV HD switch they left it to the last minute, but VM did do it, and they did so PRIOR to the event.

Now we have a twin set of events. BBC2 Scotland closed at midnight to be replaced by BBC national feed on 18th (today) and, on VM alone, on the 19th four BBC HD channels are being swapped into SD channel positions.

Neither of these events has had on-screen information so far and the BBC2 Scotland event has happened. No prior information, and the latter is due tomorrow.

To make things worse the 102 section of the EPG from 6am says Channel No Longer Available for the rest of time. If a person navigates via the Guide all the the time they will believe there is something wrong before even try to watch. If they do watch they get the SD version of national feed, so there really should be schedule information.

I can understand VM thinking it is easier to let this go for a day and do the BBC2 HD switch at the same time as the others tomorrow. But is it worth annoying/panicing customers and increasing calls to the call centre when they just needed to get a person to put a day or so's worth of data into the schedule for 102 in Scotland. That should have been the bare minimum.

I don't understand why VM could do such a great job with information screens on various switches over the last 6-9 months, and particularly the last BBC HD switches, and not do it in similar circumstances this time.

And if you were curious why I said the BBC had some blame on other platforms on the BBC2 Scotland matter, they should have had on-screen messages on Freeview about upcoming retuning but they haven't had anything I've seen.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 18-02-2019 at 10:21.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote