View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 19:53   #5198
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think they would soon change their minds if huge numbers abandoned a streaming service that started to ram commercials down our throats. A subscription option with no ads is the only service I would subscribe to.

As I said originally, there is no reason why an option to view free of charge (or at a lower cost) without adverts cannot be made available alongside the existing service.
A little correction here! I meant to say:

'..there is no reason why an option to view free of charge (or at a lower cost) with adverts cannot be made available alongside the existing service.'

Sorry about that!

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
But I thought it was the high quality content, not available on linear television, you were after?

If (or rather, when) they all do it the consumer will not have a choice. No-one will be able to develop the breadth of content on offer without that money. Advertisers need to push their products, and in different ways, streaming will not be immune to it.

It’ll start subtle - a brief advert before your programme - before it ramps up.
I think you must be misunderstanding me as I don't see how your point applies to what I have said.

It is of couse high quality content I want, but I don't want it interrupted by ads.

The principle I am putting forward is the same as ITV and Channel 4 have adopted. The catch-up service is offered free of charge with advertising or by subscription with an enhanced selection and no ads.

In both scenarios, the streamers get income, either through subscriptions or through commercials. Everyone wins.