View Single Post
Old 24-11-2017, 13:17   #3438
jj20x

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks, I never realised that was the case.
Yes, although I suppose I should point out that there are only 3 variations on VM as the network doesn't extend as far as Aberdeen.

Quote:
If the one STV AD being created is to show much the same as everywhere else does across the UK (and the local news is split into more than one feed, but the new AD will only be able to carry one of them), it seems a little pointless.
I think it's more to do with getting the correct advertising for the STV franchise.

Quote:
Re: The +1's that some people think are no longer relevant. Sky is to move them away from where they are on their EPG (mainly next to the parent channel) to elsewhere.
Although they can be relevant for regional television, mainly for DTT. The reason that STV +1 takes the Edinburgh version is to give viewers in the east of the central belt an opportunity to see the most appropriate version of the news. Some viewers in the east receiving the Glasgow service from the Black Hill transmitter rather than the Edinburgh service from Craigkelly.

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Also, instead of being shunted into a dedicated section from 700 onwards the +1 channels will now appear from 201 onwards. They will also mirror the line up between 101 and 200 so that ITV+1 will be at 203, C4+1 at 204, C5+1 at 205 etc
I like the fact that the Documentary and Entertainment genres are to be merged (on Sky). Largely because most channels don't stay within their genre.

+1s being in their own section with a +100 model sounds good but I think that it will create a lot of gaps.

Quote:
What would others think if VM were to follow suit?
Merging Entertainment, Documentary and Lifestyle sounds good. Do we really expect to look in the Documentary section to find One Foot In The Grave on Yesterday, or in the Lifestyle section to find Dalziel and Pascoe on Home? Well done UKTV - although other broadcasters are just as bad.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
STV2 is the local channel now.
In name only. STV still operates 4 regional opt-outs on the ITV Network. STV 2 is a single network feed across all of the, supposedly local, Scottish local tv franchises.