View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 12:20   #20
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Apple to transition Macs to their own chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I feel there's a 3rd, much more obvious (and in my mind, likely) possibility - they're simply not as fast as x86.

x86 vs ARM is not a new thing, it's something that has been debated for years and years. They're ultimately both very good at different things but apples to apples, ARM is way more efficient at lower power draw and x86 is way more powerful (And expensive!) at higher power draws.

We've seen both sides of this - we've seen x86 in embedded devices, like phones and got great performance with awful battery life. We've also now got ARM in the server space, which (shock horror) isn't quite as fast as its x86 counterparts but works out much cheaper overall as they're cheaper to run (And presumably cheaper to buy). Keep in mind those benchmarks were against slightly older-gen x86, but even then it's clear where ARM shines and where it doesn't.

I would not expect to see performance gains here at all, that's not what ARM has ever been about , but..comparable performance is still nothing to be sniffed at.

Apple tends to have some pretty awful thermal designs in their machines, so you might even see better performance just from sheer efficiency, but Apple aren't going to be looking to knock Intel or AMD's performance crown off any time soon.

Keep expectations in check, competition is always a good thing.
I think there would be surprise if Apple doesn't outperform the equivalent intel chips when they first come out. After all they're posting very competitive scores with their phones and iPads at the moment and those devices have to consume less power and generate less heat than their laptop counterparts.

The advantages may only come from efficiency but that's sort of the point. In laptops and anything that doesn't have the luxury of being able to generate a lot of heat and a lot of power it may be that ARM can get better performance than x86 for the same heat/power draw.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote