Thread: Superhub Change in channels
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 13:44   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Change in channels

channels operate in bonding groups and you will have at least 16 channels in your bonding group for your area and probably 20. The problem is that shubs 1 and 2 can only use 8 downstream channels and 4 upstreams. It is to do with the limitations of the hardware and demands at the time. As an example, my first modem I had with VM back in 2001 could only use 1 channel which was more than sufficient for 512k, I think the second one could use 2 and then ambit 300 when I was on 50mbits could use 4.

In your case, at any one time you will use 8 of the 20 ish channels available. If for example your bonding group consists of channels 120-139, you might be using channels 120-127 now and if you reboot your shub you can move to 131-139 or a random mix of in between. I was the same pre-August when I was on 200mbits with a shub2 and I never had any problems getting full speed. It was only when I got a shub 3 that I realised there were 20 channels in my group and that increased to 24 last week.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote