View Single Post
Old 15-01-2007, 20:48   #1
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice
Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

I live in Swansea, South Wales, and usually with ntl my newsgroup access and a few websites run at full speed (1200 kilobytes p/s) on my 10meg connection.

However.

Last night, Sunday 14th, my speed dropped to almost exactly 5meg speed (580 kilbytes p/s) and stayed there all night. Now me being the trusting soul that I am put it down to a small fault somewhere and ignored it and when I got home from work tonight, low and behold my speed had returned to the full 10meg speed.

However.

By 7:30 this evening my speed had once again dropped to 5meg. At this point I thought wtf and decided to call India. At which point I was told to try the usual bumpf like rebooting, downloading from Microsoft etc which came to the conclusion that I was indeed getting 5 meg

Now, here comes the interesting point. The guy I was talking to told me that somewhere around 7:30 ish my modem had picked up a 5 meg config file. He then removed and re added my modem back into SABS and then advised of the old chesnut to wait 2 hours. At this point I was about to start shouting but then thought to check my speed. And what would you guess, once again I am getting 10 meg.

Now wtf is going on here?

For the last 2 nights at least ntl have been sending a 5 meg config file to my modem at around the 7 o'clock mark. I did ask the question as to whether traffic shaping was going on but was told no.

I didn't check my modem config file this evening untill it was to late and by then the modem had been re added, but I will be checking again if the same thing happens tomorrow and update but has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Cheers all
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote