View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 21:00   #532
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I think that’s absolutely right, and it conforms absolutely to my belief that ultimately all content will be categorised rather than split by channels in the way they are now when IPTV becomes the sole method of access. This is because the labels BBC1, BBC2, etc will become meaningless when all the content is to be found on the same streaming platform.
I agree that channel names are meaningless in a streaming environment, but really this only applies in a streaming-only environment. BBC1 and 2 as identifiers within the iPlayer would only become obsolete if iPlayer were to lose its catch-up functionality, and it won’t lose that as long as it’s hosting material that has first been broadcast. For the time being the genre headings are already in iPlayer and anyone can browse under them if they choose. Whether the BBC will become streaming only in the next 10 years (or 20, or 30) is of course the whole question that keeps this thread going.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote