View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 15:53   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: First satellites launched for global internet from space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yes, I’d assumed something akin to a sat phone aerial would be required, as birds at that altitude aren’t going to be geostationary.

Current satellite internet systems usually have a dedicated dish. There are a few homes near to me that have them, smaller but chunkier than a sky dish and aligned very slightly differently.

As regards price, well within a couple of years as the bandwidth demands of doing anything useful online continue to increase, I may be forced to start contemplating non-fixed-line solutions, and this would be one I would at least look at, although the current generation of satellite internet, which was supposed to be both faster and cheaper than the previous one, has pretty much failed to be any use so I’m not hopeful.

I may look again at a fixed 4g domestic router with a roof mounted aerial. I can get about 12Mb down and 2Mb up with my phone if I stand in the right part of the house. Again, it’s more expensive than my BT package but my BT package is looking increasingly slow.

My one reservation about making any change is that we are in the final 5% of the Scottish Government’s 100% superfast coverage programme, which means our area is scheduled for some sort of subsidised intervention within the next 2 years. My local exchange is to be fibre-enabled this year, but I’m on a 4 mile EO line so that work in itself won’t help, but the state aid may pay for street cabs to be located out in the wilds for us, or they may subsidise 4g systems if fixed line is deemed impractical. I don’t know which, but they’re definitely doing something.

I doubt they will be buying into this new sat system though, as it looks to me as if it still needs some proving time.
Maybe this is something that rural communities could consider (it's only 11 minutes long)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003fr0
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote