View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 19:39   #72
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Now TV is bundling just the same as Sky and Virgin only a lot smaller often referred to as a Skinny bundle.

What your suggesting is the likes of Showtime , HBO , CBS , Disney etc all going direct to the customer which in my opinion will work out far more expensive than the current bundling method.

Did you read your Disney link , Disney moving it's content from Netflix and selling direct to the customer in the USA it's hard to think how that will be cheaper for the customer.
But Now TV gives extra choice, which is what consumers want. Services such as Showtime, HBO, CBS, Disney etc are probably more in the Netflix league.

In terms of being cheaper for the customer, I think overall it will be, because it allows people to make alternative choices. It is these choices which will draw people away from pay tv as provided by Sky, VM, etc and suck them into these OTT services. Subscribers will become less loyal to these providers, choosing, say, Netflix, Amazon and Disney for a while, then moving to, say, Showtime, HBO and Disney a couple of years later. The vast amount of content will ensure that you wouldn't be subscribed to more than about three or four services at any one time because you simply wouldn't have time to see everything available if you took them all at once.

It will soon be clear to most, as it is already to some, that bundles of channels as packaged by the satellite and cable operators are poor value for money, and OTT services will come cheaper, offer more, and without advert breaks.

Ask yourself, if you subscribed to Netflix, Amazon, Disney and HBO, assuming that the latter were priced as Netflix and Amazon, and you dropped all your pay tv channels, would you not be better off? And if, say, Disney won the rights to Premier League Football and offered a service at, say, 85% of the present cost of the Sky Sports football option (or even 100% for that matter) would you not be better off overall? Don't forget you would have the Freeview channels on top of all this as well.

I know that in the years to come, I will be looking to ditch the pay tv channels and go for Freeview and OTT services only. I'm just waiting for the right time and I think it is fast approaching.