View Single Post
Old 30-05-2018, 23:19   #29
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media UK to axe V Boxes from August

phase 1 of operation box swap is complete!

the box is plugged in, set it to record the Pompeii thing on 5 for him the next few days, and left the TV on 3 so he could watch the soaps this evening!

Poor bloke very confused that he doesn't have to change what he's watching to record what he wants, he was worried about running out of "tape" so I explained it like having 50 tapes inside the Tivo box.

we're going to go through watching what's been recorded at the weekend when he's had a few days to play with the guide at his own pace. i think he'll be ok with the concept of that, as it's not disimilar to the freeview one on the panasonic vhs/dvd-r and he happily sets the guide to the program he wants to record on that.

turned off suggestions, thanks for that, he would have got even more confused about the box recording things he didn't tell it to.

the main thing he was happy about, was that when he pressed whatever he pressed for sky sports, it still went to that, then the same for Yesterday and bbc4

Transferring to vhs I may have to get him to leave the house so he doesn't rabbit it on at me, and I can just remind myself how to do it

now the old box, had to scart sockets, one to the tv, and one to one of the video recorders.

the new box has 1 scart socket, which to do things this evening quick and easy i connected to tv.

if i remember correctly,I played with this on mine a long time ago, if you connect the tv to the tivo box with hdmi lead, if you want to transfer to external recorder, you have to go through menus to do that don't you?

so, if i don't use the hdmi lead, but have the scart going into back of tv from cable box, and from other scart socket on tv into VHS, can he record what the tv is currently watching? i.e. it's only any use to record something he's watching but wants to keep, or a football match he's watching but may miss the end if he falls asleep actually i suppose i'd be better off scart from tivo to vcr scart scocket 1, scart socket 2 on vcr to tv, but then he can't copy vcr to vcr! He'll have to use dining room VCRs for that

I think I'm going to have to get him used to recording to the tivo box, and then "backup" to vhs only if he really has to.

i started to explain to him, how he'll love it when he gets the hang of it, and he can record 2 shows at once, or not worry about them overlapping, or pause/rwd live tv, but he was keen to put off learning anything else till weekend at risk of overload

Last edited by admars; 30-05-2018 at 23:26.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote