View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 18:46   #5273
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it's likely to be less than $5 in the States, so I would not expect ESPN to be too expensive here. I can demonstrate that Disney will enter at a reasonable price, actually, by the way.. Clock this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/1...le-deal-likely

Once again, your negative view of all this is wrong. The big question really is whether ESPN UK will carry any of the football premier league packages, and whether Disney will be able to absorb some of that cost as a loss leader.

Amazon certainly would, without question, although some doubting Thomases on here still refuse to believe it. The fact that Amazon have got the lowest Premiership package only this time around is acknowledged. However, you have totally ignored the fact that they are providing these matches with no extra charge. Not very Sky-like, is it?

My 'attitude' towards linear channels is most certainly not based on any 'fear' on my part - why would I fear them? They will be dying off soon. It's pretty obvious really but it's difficult to 'prove' what hasn't happened yet. However, that doesn't make you right, not by a long chalk.

Incidentally, where did I say that linear TV would be gone by 2029? My view has always been that they will be gone (at least for all intents and purposes) by 2035.
Your link doesn't even prove that a Disney sports service will launch in this country, let alone at a reasonable price. It's going to take a lot of $5s to recoup the thick end of £4.6bn if they did enter.

Sky offering Premier League games on Sky One (available in the basic packages on Sky and Virgin) is exactly the same as Amazon offering them "free" to subscribers to Prime.

Again there's much speculation that these huge global entities will be willing to take a hit on the Premiership rights without actually considering why they'd bother? If they can't turn a profit from them in the three year window what's the long term benefit? As you've said many times before - these are flexible packages people can just leave easily and there will be plenty of other choices available.