View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 16:29   #5270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Plenty of companies have transformed landscapes then ceased to exist/got taken over once the rest of the market has caught up with them.

It's a ridiculous notion to say that 'only' pay-tv channels (by this I presume you mean Comcast owned Sky, Liberty Global owned Virgin Media å others) will suffer and Netflix thrive with the increased competition in the market. The market for those willing to spend £8 a month for additional content has a finite size.

The public continue to make their choice month in, month out with direct debits worth hundreds of millions each month heading to Sky, Virgin Media and BT and I don't see any reason why people won't continue to do so. There's plenty of quality on demand content on those platforms too, for anyone with an irrational fear of linear television channels. There's also premium sport content, which given the prices paid appear to be the most popular/profitable content for platforms. No streamer has demonstrated a business model for this and every time I bring it up you just tell me that's different!
I don't think Comcast/Sky or Liberty Global/Virgin Media will have insufficient subscribers. What I am saying is that the streaming services will replace TV channels.

Sky and VM will have bouquets of SVOD/AVOD services instead. That is the way this is going.

Ditch the traditional pay TV channels for the new VOD services and you will get better choice and see some change out of what you were paying before. Why is that a bad thing?

As for premium sport, Sky will simply set up a stteaming service and compete with the likes of Amazon. Incidentally, you did clock that Amazon is showing premiership matches free of extra charge, didn't you? Disney + will also be showing sport on its ESPN strand, and I think that will be at a pretty reasonable price.

The cost of some sports such as boxing are high anyway, whether or not we receive it by traditional means.

By the way, where does any 'fear' of traditional broadcast channels come from? Nobody fears them, old chap, they are just on their way out, and over the next decade, that will become pretty obvious - even to you.