View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 12:54   #80
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is, and the point is, it's growing rapidly.

It would be wrong to assume that the figures are going to remain much as they are now over the coming years. I think there will be a sudden surge at some point, and as technology improves.

At present, Freeview only viewers need a Freeview box to access on demand for example. What will happen when most people have a TV that allows this - and indeed video streaming?

Big changes are on the way, IMHO.
Again, you're simply reading your own enthusiasm for these things on to everyone else. How long do you think a TV lasts? My mum's still using a 4:3 21" CRT that is well over 20 years old, with a Freeview PVR attached, and she only got a PVR because the digital switchover forced obsolescence on her VHS video recorder. She doesn't have any kind of internet connection (by choice).

Plenty of people only buy basic and would end up with a connected TV only if that feature was universally available across the range.

We get 2Mb internet on a good day, by the way, and barely receive standard-def quality pictures when we access iPlayer via our Freesat PVR. Slow 'broadband' is a widespread issue in the UK.

And even when the capability to do it is in every home, there is nothing as convenient as a TV schedule when you're tired at the end of a day in the office, and there's nothing as attractive to an advertiser as a commercial break viewed simultaneously by 10 million people.

I confidently predict that linear broadcast TV will be around and well used for the rest of my lifetime.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote