View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 10:03   #3328
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
2. In all deals where there is a junior party, one party will potentially cave in. We saw that with BoJo and the withdrawal agrement where he caved into the EU although managed to fool quite a few people until the penny dropped.

The UK and Japan are currently set to sign a deal which Liz Truss is getting awfully excited about. However, Japan has made clear that it cannot be as ambitious as the one signed with the EU as the UK is a far smaller market. I call that one party in the negotiations having more power in strictly neutral language. You might prefer the use of more emotive language like bullying which is your choice.

3. I've explained to you why the EU has its red lines. It doesn't mean that I wish it didn't but it's only what was called Project Fear or Easiest Trade Deal Ever depending on who you chose to believe at the time.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Exactly. Today's learning is that not everyone knows the difference between small and smaller.

Quote:
2. In all deals where there is a junior party, one party will potentially cave in. We saw that with BoJo and the withdrawal agrement where he caved into the EU although managed to fool quite a few people until the penny dropped.
What I was hoping to read was your agreement that bullying by the other party is not acceptable. That is a normal attitude to take. Instead, you come at it from the other side even going so far as to call us a "junior partner". You might think that the reality, but the majority of UK people do not like being bullied. Only Remainers come up with this "I told you so" crap instead of standing up for the UK as matters stand.

Quote:
3. I've explained to you why the EU has its red lines. It doesn't mean that I wish it didn't but it's only what was called Project Fear or Easiest Trade Deal Ever depending on who you chose to believe at the time.
You walked into that answer. My question was : "All we want is the Canada deal. What's wrong with that?". You dodged the answer. What is wrong with the Canada deal? You've only provided an answer from the EU perspective - and that is what is so wrong with many Remainers - still complaining that we've left the EU and its plans for integration.

Quote:
The UK and Japan are currently set to sign a deal which Liz Truss is getting awfully excited about. However, Japan has made clear that it cannot be as ambitious as the one signed with the EU as the UK is a far smaller market. I call that one party in the negotiations having more power in strictly neutral language. You might prefer the use of more emotive language like bullying which is your choice.
I can accept that a trade deal with Japan won't be as ambitious as the one they have with the EU - for the reasons you have given. But that is not the same situation as between the EU and the UK where we already have equivalence and they want to punish us; I rightly call that bullying. Japan doesn't want to punish us.

My advice is at your risk.