Thread: General Analogue Cable Memories
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 18:01   #17
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
@Onramp, thank you! These talkback modules, any idea what they looked like? I don't believe we had one. Also, if a return path was generally not present on analogue, would the company have been able to scan for modified or unscrupulous equipment and how? I looked up the ACC-4000, it's a computer that controlled the boxes right? Did you ever use one? What was the OS? I definitely saw a Windows 95 screen being broadcast on channel 40-something in 2004/2005 (was supposed to be displaying a static message from NTL, but a message box was stuck on top).
The talkback modules were just a shiny metal box faceplate that fits over the cable input - although - now I think of it - that might actually be a UHF passthrough thing because there was also a cover on the back of the box for slotting a module into.

The ACC-4000 ran SCO Unix according to the instruction manual. It would have had a Motif user interface. The Windows 95 thing you saw was probably a local TV channel that temporarily didn't have powerpoint open to show ads.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote