View Single Post
Old 19-07-2020, 10:33   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
Might VM have to pull new cable from the cab to the house?
No, if there was a damaged cable somewhere you would see evidence of it in the post rs-errors I asked you about. Your graph is mint btw as is all the other information you have provided. At the moment it doesn't look like there is technically anything wrong so there is either something higher up the VM network causing an issue (e.g. congestion issue) or something else is running on your network sucking up the bandwidth or secret option No. 3.
If there was an area/congestion issue it is highly likely VM were aware of if and even if it has not yet hit the thresholds for raising a ticket the guy on the phone and the tech who came round to your house would be aware of it so that rules that one out. Secondly, we take you at your word that you are running the speed tests as we have suggested and there aren't any other devices connected to your network and hammering it in the background. If that was the case your graph would like mine.

So time for secret option No 3. Laptops are really bizarre and have peculiar settings hidden all over the place (e.g. power saving modes) which affect the performance of NICs. To satisfy my curiosity have you or anyone else in your house got anything else you can run a speed test on like a relatively new android phone? 2-3 years old should be fine. Speedtest.net have a mobile app which you can download from the Play store and it will look like this:

We wouldn't normally condone running wireless tests because they bring a whole new set of variables with them but in this case it will be worth it. I have a sneaky suspicion.....
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote