View Single Post
Old 30-10-2019, 00:12   #2
twingo2
cf.member

twingo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: LAN to LAN VPN via VMB Hitron CGNV4 Router

I'm pretty sure that VM traffic manage VPN's.

I setup a VPS server in France about 3 years ago to be my personal VPN, i've been mostly on the 150Mbit package during this time and up to about 6-8 months ago i would get a max of approx 110Mbit (due to the VPS cpu maxing out).

However in the last 6-8 months this has dropped to 30-40mbit. Checking the VPS the cpu was using approx 30% of my total CPU, so the cpu on the VPS wasn't a problem. Downloading a test file from a local hosting company to the VPS would get me approx 800Mbit, downloading a test file from the VPS>Home would get approx 150Mbit (Maxing my home line), so the network wasn't the problem. I tried for hours to get it back to 100Mbit+ but i could never do it, it would max between 30-40Mbit when using the VPN.

So then i tried setting up with a UK host and got exactly the same results. Fearing i might have a bodged OpenVPN config, i decided to test 5 VPN providers (using trials and friends accounts).....all maxed around 30-40Mbit. To make sure it wasn't my computer i also used OpenVPN on my phone, again 30-40Mbit going through Virgin.

At this point i was sure its actually VirginMedia and tried changing the port on my OpenVPN server and also tried using UDP/TCP, no difference, finally i gave up and tried my phone using through my provider (three) and got 60Mbit on the first test. I took my computer around my friends and was able to hit 140Mbit/sec using my VPN over his BTbroadband.

Whilst i was trying to figure it out, i also seen several posts over at community.virginmedia.com saying they were getting the same 30-40mbit speeds. So looks like Virgin are throttling it.
twingo2 is offline   Reply With Quote