View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 10:34   #682
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
What changed your mind in the last 5-10 years? I see Bulgaria and Romania joined in 2007 and the Treaty of Lisbon came in to force in 2009. Croatia joined in 2013 but there’s nothing huge like the Maastricht Treaty.

In an alternate universe, what changes in the last 5-10 years would you roll back to make remaining a more palatable choice?

---------- Post added at 08:29 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Of course the EEC changed over the years, evolving with the agreement of the member nations, that’s obvious.

I for one accept the result of the referendum. Am I happy about leaving the EU? No, nothing has changed my mind about membership of the EU being a good thing but I like to think I am grown up enough to accept leaving. However, we are now in a different phase where we need to hold HMG to account and give us an orderly Brexit that does the minimum amount of harm to the UK.

This country has brilliant people, we make and do great things. Nissan in Sunderland for example is regarded by Nissan as one of its best factories. If we remove the possibility of doing frictionless trade with the rest of the EU, this would have a significant impact on their manufacturing processes and Nissan would need to make a decision on this.

I think we tend to work through life thinking ‘everything’s going to be alright’ and we can trust our government to do right by us but with Brexit, I feel the priority is to keep the Conservative parties many factions together is more important than serving the country (see Boris Johnson still having a job right now)
To me, the main changes have been:
- the increase in trade deals with the rest of the worls making the EU the largest trading bloc to have third-country deals. It's been a massive advocate of free trade and this has led to lots of restructuring across the EU but ultimately economic growth in place of stagnation.
- enlargement eastwards which was a key British policy to contain Russia and promote Western values. The link with freedom of movement and the sudden impact of people moving to the UK was a consequence of a move championed by the UK with ironic consequences.

You raise a good question of Mick and I would like to see what changes he's been against.