Thread: Smart meters
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 15:53   #24
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Smart meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I set the unit to display watts but after a while it will completely reset, do a display test, then re-pair with the main meter and then displays usage today in £. There is a signal strength display shows 3 bars out of 5 so I don't think that's why it resets.

It's actually in the same room as the freezer and fridge so I know when they startup As I say I have my own monitor unit and they agree to the last watt.

It's something that they don't tell you about on the electric ones: There's a main contactor in the box that can shut off the electricity remotely. Currently there are "no plans" to use this to remotely cut off the supply to people who don't pay their bills.
I think the emphasis is meant to be on how much it costs rather than how many KWh. That will be why the default display is in £, as that is easier to understand on a day-to-day basis.

If the freezer is frost-free then it could be in a defrost phase where the heating element melts the frosted water build-up.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote