Thread: Smart meters
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2019, 11:38   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Smart meters

Quote:
Quote from nomadking:

I had electric and gas ones installed just a few months ago. If it keeps losing the connection, place it nearer the meters. The current usage in watts is likely to be there on the optional displays. It was there for me.
I set the unit to display watts but after a while it will completely reset, do a display test, then re-pair with the main meter and then displays usage today in £. There is a signal strength display shows 3 bars out of 5 so I don't think that's why it resets.

Quote:
The thing to watch out for in assessing current usage is that items such as fridges, freezers, immersion heaters can suddenly start up. That would give a false current usage in watts.
It's actually in the same room as the freezer and fridge so I know when they startup As I say I have my own monitor unit and they agree to the last watt.

Quote:
Quote from Taf:

We had a scheduled power outage of an hour or so. Next door were away on holiday. When they came home, their fridge and freezer were minging as the smart meter did not turn the power back on after the outage.

I'm not sure if this was a fault, or how these meters work.
It's something that they don't tell you about on the electric ones: There's a main contactor in the box that can shut off the electricity remotely. Currently there are "no plans" to use this to remotely cut off the supply to people who don't pay their bills.