View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 18:21   #47
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Punching through the negativism, some positive news. The Smithsonian Channel is set to launch on Virgin Media in February.

Smithsonian Networks is a joint venture between CBS Corporation's Showtime Networks, Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution.

According to Wikipedia, the network’s content is inspired by the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research facilities and magazines. It features original non-fiction programming that covers a wide range of historical, scientific and cultural subjects.
I wouldn't describe asking for information to corroborate a detailed post as 'being negative'.

Original reporting of the Sky Basics dispute being resolved points towards that contract being until June 12, 2011.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...yb-virginmedia

Obviously the channels remained available so we can assume a further deal was done, the next reports I can find are from May 2014 for a five year deal (covering Sky Basics and additional Sports channels in HD, but not Sky Atlantic).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...l-sky-atlantic

It's worth noting the deal that is making Sky Atlantic available on BT is actually BT selling Now TV (a Sky product) directly to it's customers.

I'd like to see Sky Atlantic available as much as the next bloke, but I'd not be holding my breath. If a deal had been done there's no real reason it wouldn't be available now, as opposed to a delay of a number of months.

As Maggy J rightly points out Sky generally always retain something as a unique selling point - Sky Sports Xtra, interactive functions, HD content, streaming services, Sky Atlantic.

Eventually it moves on to something else - so the question is whether UHD is going to be appealing enough to do that on its own without content.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote