Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 22:13   #1334
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Given how few deaths are being recorded off the back of the whopping omicron infection wave, I’d say that’s a moot point. Whether because of vaccines, a mutation making omicron less dangerous, natural immunity or a combination of the above, it is now abundantly clear that the risk to life from omicron covid is minimal.

The public health messaging won’t go big on that because its transmissibility creates serious resource issues for the NHS, but in the long run that’s a political question, not a public health crisis.
I'd disagree with you on that one.

Given that it is a milder, and as you say a "minimal risk to life" illness, this in actuality, means that the discrepancy between hospitalisations and deaths with or of covid matters more than at any stage previously in the pandemic.

In other words, has this person died because they had covid? Or have they died from some other reason but at some point in the recent past they tested positive for covid, which had no influence on their death?

Or, this person coming to hospital, because they can't stop coughing and can't breathe because they have covid, or because they broke their leg at a football game, and tested positive?

Yes, I do get that a covid-positive patient, whether or not they are in because they have covid, perhaps requires additional barrier methods, but, the detail is still important here.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote