View Single Post
Old 14-12-2014, 19:04   #179
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that a number of time-lines were written due to there being no real 'official' one as the story wasn't expected to go past Return of the Jedi - is that not the case?
There are different levels of canon in the Star Wars universe, with a fairly well understood order of precedence. I believe the uber-canon is "G" canon, which is anything established personally by Lucas himself.

The problem with respecting extended media as canon is that the standard of storytelling in any shared universe environment can be so variable. Put simply, why should Disney, which needs to make a decent return on their massive investment by making a film a lot of people will actually want to see, respect each and every piece of back-story written into every original Star Wars novel for the last 30 years? Even if all of it was first rate (and it isn't), the risk coule be the creation of a hopelessly complex story that wouldn't appeal to a mass audience.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote