View Single Post
Old 15-03-2020, 17:51   #556
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not going to be enforced, it is asking over 70’s for their own good.
I took the use of the word 'instructed' to mean that over 70's won't have a choice, but that's only what Robert Peston has relayed ie nothing official has been announced by the government.

I wonder why the govt is relaying via the media; why not make a Prime Ministerial announcement directly to the nation? I'm sure it will happen at some stage.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Queen spoke to the nation (she might have even pre recorded this prior to her going into quarantine).

A request from the PM & the Queen might also be enough to make the majority of the over 70's compliant.

If the over 70's choose to disobey this request or instruction, will the government get heavy handed with them? The Conservative party rely on the grey vote and so they won't want to alienate them.

On the other hand, if they end up losing their life through going outside, It's a cold heartless fact that the government will save a lot through reduced expenditure on pensions and future health costs from people that are likely to no longer be economically active. Are they really that bothered if such people become infected?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-03-2020 at 18:05.