View Single Post
Old 27-12-2019, 20:22   #1255
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
That's in regards to aspect ratio on older episodes of the Simpsons. No mention is made of removing new eps from Sky. And note the "maybe" even in regards to this issue.

Look, it may happen, but Disney like to make money (unlike Netflix at the moment..) and Sky is a guaranteed revenue stream for them, so I doubt they will mess with things too much.

Don't forget that if Disney and Comcast full out in the UK, then it will be bloodbath between them in the States and everywhere else too. I don't think at this point, they will risk that.
This is the thing. If the market won't sustain dozens of streamers with millions of subscribers each, and I don't believe it will, suddenly £x per month per subscriber to join a wholesale deal or a fixed risk free fee for your content to go onto other platforms is massively appealing.

A deal with Sky and Virgin, for example, at £1 per month would be £150m a year relatively risk free. On the other hand, a fledgling streaming service at £7.99 a month would need 1.8 million subscribers to achieve this once VAT is taken off. Your content, and brands, are now in 12.5 million homes, instead of less than 1.8 million. Gaining more reputation for your content and thus increasing its back catalogue value in the future. You make a dead duck series on a streamer nobody has and it's gone forever.

Last edited by jfman; 27-12-2019 at 20:29.