View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 15:55   #610
markt50
Inactive

markt50 is on a distinguished roadmarkt50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

I have a few questions:

1). As others have mentioned, the most important thing for me is getting an assurance that if I opt out it really is out. I want it like a switch that means Phorm never see's a single thing I do, even if it checks my data and then makes the decision to leave me out of it then that would not be good enough. Does the process that decides if a user should be processed by Phorm get performed by the ISP, on the ISP's Network, using the ISP's servers, and with passing no data whatsoever to Phorm and Phorms servers, whether internal or external to the ISP ?

2). Is the decision to go for an 'Opt Out' system entirelly at the behest of ISP's or is Phorm as a company pushing this ? Do you recommend an 'Opt Out' deployment method and if so what do you justify this method on ?

3). Having read some of the information we have available it seems like the scope for advertisement catagories is currently limited. Can/Will this be expanded, if so who will control the decision making processes behind this and what assurances do we have that questionable advertisement content will not be targetted to customers such as adult, gambling, religeous, medical etc. Who decides what is appropriate or not ? who decides how much to expand this system ?

4). Phorm insist that their technology is 100% secure and anonymous, to be blunt about it and I don't mean this in an insulting way, but why should we believe you ? what evidence can you provide to backup these claims ?

5). What performance impact does this system have. If you are analysing all this data before I'm served with the web page surely it must have an overhead, sure it might be very small but I just cannot see how this can have no impact with regards to the speed I get web content. I pay for a 20meg Internet connection, I want it to be fast, not have something in the middle slowing things down.