View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 15:45   #608
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech team View Post
Each ISP will choose how they best offer this to their customers. I know the boards are fully of healthy skepticism but lots of research conducted does strongly suggest many customers would like this as an automatic add-on to their package.

I hope to reassure you as in the scenario you outline, where customers have to opt in to receive webwise, if you are not opted in, no browsing data whatsoever is passed from the ISP to Phorm. We should be clear that the Phorm servers are located in the ISP's network and browsing data is not transmitted outside the ISP. Even if you are opted out (in your scenario, not opted in) websites will still show you ads (as they do now) but these will not be adverts from the OIX system and they will not be relevant to your browsing.

I hope this helps -- email me at techteam@phorm.com with any other comments or questions. Thanks. techteam
Thanks tech team.

This reply is, in part, encouraging as it places the onus of responsibility squarely on VM's shoulders as to the implementation of your ad-forcing system. Is that correct?

However, I would like to question your claim that "lots of research conducted does strongly suggest many customers would like this as an automatic add-on to their package."
During this research was Webwise presented as, primarily, an anti-phishing service that also gives a "more relevant" browsing experience, without actually revealing to the survey respondants that all their web traffic was being monitored? If the survey was not completely transparent regarding the technology used, then it results are null and void.