View Single Post
Old 20-05-2020, 00:27   #2976
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: [Updated] The UK’s future relationship with the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
We are going round in circles. My point in post #2958 has been completely proved.
#2959 has - let's agree on that.
I accept that I have failed in my objective to convince you that the EU does not have some dastardly plan to try and restrict our sovereignty for the sake of it and instead is just trying to ensure a level playing field for the single market.

Moving on, some interesting comments about Johnson's proposals.

Quote:
David Henig, director of the UK trade policy project and a former trade negotiator, said: “[The UK is] looking for more than Canada, Korea or Japan in exchange for the same — or probably even less — in terms of level playing field provisions.”
..Talks between the two sides are deadlocked on the question of the level playing field, with Brussels insisting that if Britain wants privileged access to the single market after Brexit it must be prevented from undercutting the EU social and environmental model.
A separate dispute concerns EU demands for continued access to British fishing waters on similar terms to now, while London objects to any role for the European Court of Justice in enforcing any eventual deal.
...EU officials also say British attempts to agree mutual recognition deals for professional qualifications — for lawyers in particular — and for industrial products reflected London’s attempt to keep the same access to the single market.
“The British request to have British qualifications recognised by default, subject to terms and conditions, goes far beyond the EU-Japan deal, or the Ceta deal with Canada,” said Sam Lowe of the Centre for European Reform.
Source: https://www.ft.com/content/134d5e8f-...8-897f7ca51326

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-05-2020 at 01:22.