Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2021, 10:34   #99
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Streamers are more than just content providers and content aggregators. They generally own the relationship with the customer and the application that enables customers to access that content. It is not usually in an individual streaming company's interests for people to navigate this through a third party interface as it makes it easier to navigate between different providers and people say "I saw this great series on Sky" as oppose to "I saw this great box set on Discovery +"

That is why they want people to stay in their own ecosystems and not to stray to other providers' services. Helping customers find their content more easily works in the confines of their own apps but beyond it can work against them. They don't want customers to see over the walls of their walled gardens.
Exactly. Even BBC shows with a big BBC logo at the start of every episode (and efen on the show tile) get mistaken for other services output. I keep being amazed at the number who mistakenly associate UK shows with likes of Netflix, and I'm not talking about those that are co-productions.

And there a so many stories you read about people only discovering well known shows on Netflix, it's astounding how many seem unwilling to exit the app to look at other services, it's a virtuous circle for them, one every other broadcaster now realises they have to break.