View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 22:14   #1874
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
I've been down that route but it is due to local network issues/congestion. They just replace the boxes as it is easier that fixing the problem. Has anyone confirmed if V6 is any more/less forgiving on signal levels and other network issues? I remember in the past having signals fixed during the day and it would fail during the evening and getting them fixed in the evening and it fail during the day.
Nope not due to network issues.

i have 3 boxes.

1 originally failed a while back, which was fair enough... Equipment can and does fail. Didn't want them coming into bedroom so I moved it downstairs and they replaced it there.
It then lasted about 18 months and died about this time last year.
They replaced it, then 4 months later hard drive died in it.

They then wouldn't send me a self install replacement because they implied there was something suspicious about it failing so quickly.

So they sent an engineer, he replaced it and found nothing suspicious of wrong with my install and after a few weeks hard drive started clicking and still clicks but I can't be bothered with the you broke it arguments again so I've left it as is and just waiting for it to die again.

However the original 2 boxes I received have been fault free since I got them shortly after launch.

It's nothing I'm doing as it stays on a shelf, doesn't move... Well ventilated etc and the new units have lasted well.

Regarding signal levels that was another saga I had, I found engineers I was sent were good at lying to my face about fixing signal issue. In the end I fabricated 2 faults in a month and they sent a senior tech who said yes there was a problem and got networks down same day and fixed it.

Prior to that I had excuses ranging from, signal levels fine, corrosion, moved onto a higher tap... That was a good one which repeatedly got used, until one day a tech showed me inside the pit where there was only 1 line tap. Also no corrosion it was completely clean, problem was the line tap was wrong one and too high value, network guy swapped it for a lower one and my signal levels increased 4dBmV instantly.

Then I sourced and fitted my own tratec HDU and enjoyed perfect signal levels ever since managed by myself. When signal levels go up I add an attenuator then when they drop I remove it again

Amazing how much they fluctuate, my signal levels were high and I had a 6dB attenuator on it... Then they added an extra upstream channel and signal levels dropped to negative 6-7, took attenuator off again and it's back at 0-1.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote