View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 13:22   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Does anyone use the BBC Red Button text service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
But.... is the cost not negligible in the grand scheme of things? Especially considering they will continue to broadcast MHEG onscreen information + graphics on many radio channels throughout the country, Red Button live events and also TV subtitles on all channels.... wouldn't it be squeezing some extra value for money out of the existing engineering/maintenance to keep this (essentially 45-year old and now automated) useful service going?
You'd think. Don't get me wrong, I like the old-fashioned digital text. I'd keep it.

I was under the impression some of the radio MHEG info was going too, there's none on Virgin Media and it's years since they switched it off, you just get a blank screen and a Connected Red Button prompt which takes you to iPlayer.

There are multiple things the space could benefit, assuming the space is not vacated permanently.

- They could increase the picture quality of either BBC Parliament and/or the Red Button 1 feed to equal those of the other BBC streams on the PSB1 multiplex.

- They could increase the audio quality on the BBC Local radio stations carried on PSB1 across the country.

- they could allow the radio stations on PSB1 that come off-air in the evenings in Scotland to allow for BBC Alba to restore full service.

- they could keep the space handy for a 2nd pop-up (i.e. not full-time, only used occasionally) Red Button feed for when big events are on and/or events overlap.

Note: BBC cannot do all of these, some of these are mutually exclusive due to the limited space freed up.

Also note: these are just my ideas, there has been no suggestion that anything is going to happen.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote