View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 16:06   #1055
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
“What are we playing at?” Has an aggressive tone to it, as if there is no right to hold a view of self determination and leaving the EU.
That is the danger of a text only medium. It certainly didn't come over as aggressive when face to face. It was a wry amusement and certainly no malice was intended as, rightly, there nothing that I and the one other Brit there could influence as individuals.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
List by country
France(0.70%) and even Romania(0.67%) may pay more as % of their GNI than the UK(0.46%), but they get more back. The net difference being France 0.12%. Germany 0.26%, the UK 0.18%, Ireland -0.01%, Poland a massive -1.99%(That's €9bn net they get). Remember the UK gets a 66% rebate, which the EU is itching to remove, if it hasn't done so already. Does that bump up our expected(future?) contribution to a whopping 1.38% of GNI?

Even with the rebate, the UK had been forecast(by the OBR in 2017) to have net contribution of £17.405 billion (£335 million per week) in 2022.
Link to pdf
It's on page 19.

Any money we get back is taken off the rebate, therefore at least 66% of the money has come from the UK in the first place, ie for every £3 of funding, £2 is knocked off the rebate and added to what we pay in. Factor that in and we actually get an even lower rate of EU funding, nearer 0.10%, ie €2bn, not €6bn.
Yeah, I have double checking my figures and it does depend on how you measure things I guess.

I have been using this report from September 2019 covering the 2017 budget - http://researchbriefings.files.parli...55/SN06455.pdf

According to table 3, we are the second highest net contributors. However, according to table 4 where we look at contribution per head, we are fifth. My initial numbers came from the second table on this site - https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-one-b...ors-eu-budget/ which covers the 2014-16 budget round