Thread: US Timeline Stargirl
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 20:04   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Stargirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The crossovers have become an end in themselves. Seeing how big they can make them is the aim, with precious little attention to good storytelling.

I have a Supergirl season 1-3 blu-ray box set that includes the complete Crisis on Earth X crossover, and a documentary which is basically just a chat on the sofa between the main showrunners from the series' that contributed to it, sitting there patting each other on the back for how clever they are.

As a family we skipped over the crossover episodes when we reach them, unless they're the simple, early ones with just Supergirl/Flash (youngest loves Barry). Earth X is just a mess. I eventually sat down and watched it all when I had the house to myself. There's about 3 hours I'll never get back.
that's my point, it is more of a showing off exercise of getting everyone together than doing anything substantive. It is very much a case of more is less and a process of moving Supergirl, Arrow and Flash between the series' cast episodes and the weak stories are designed to fit around the characters rather than them coming up with a good story and making the characters work around it (if that makes sense). In stuff like the MCU you look forward to them all getting together but in the DC series I a actually think the individual episodes/series are significantly better than what they attempt in the crossovers.

I have only seen episode one so far and to be fair it is the best crossover I have seen (in DC) because they have had a proper build up and depth to it but it is still ruined because I won't be watching LoT.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote