View Single Post
Old 28-01-2019, 18:40   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Is the hub getting overwhelmed by a house full of students?

yeah, tbh though is a sort of three pronged problem. The guys are right in what they said above, the shub is cack under load and the best bit about getting a proper router is that it will have all sorts of features for prioritising traffic, bandwidth limiting and other stuff. As an example you can prioritise a particular pc, ip address, or application (game) if the gaming guys are moaning about lag so they get first dibs at the bandwidth and you get whatever is left for torrenting etc. Same goes Netflix.

It would be worth while investing in a proper router which you can keep for years to come. I would highly recommend something like this and depending how large the house is it would be absolutely priceless going for the twin pack for the extra £50 and using AI mesh for your wireless network. Have a look here for my guide on the general options available, I post some screen dumps for the qos stuff if you are interested.

When considering your options and what is best for all of your long term (bearing in mind that your life revolves the internet) you may also want to take a look at this.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote