Thread: A Duty To Die?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:58   #271
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: A Duty To Die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don't know. I think making sure the patient is based on Oregon wouldn't work well for us.
Just for you...

Quote:
The <insert country> approach
If a country wished to implement a process based on the Oregon approach, the following criteria must be fulfilled before a request for euthanasia could be granted:

patient must be resident in <insert country>
patient must be aged over 18
patient must make 2 oral and 1 written request for euthanasia
there must be at least 15 days between the first and the last request
patient must be terminally ill with a life expectancy of less than 6 months
this prognosis must be confirmed by a second consultant physician
both doctors must confirm that the patient is capable of making this decision
both doctors must confirm that the patient does not have medical condition that impairs their judgement
patient must self-administer the lethal medication

When the Oregon approach was undertaken in Oregon, the following was noted -

About 30% of patients who started the process died before it was completed. 19 patients in the period who were given access to lethal medication decided not to use it. One survey showed that 45% of patients who were given good palliative care changed their mind about euthanasia.

Another reason for the low take-up was the difficulty of finding a doctor who go along with the request: The Oregon Health Division reported that only a fifth of physicians of control patients dying of similar terminal illnesses would have prescribed a lethal medication if asked.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote