View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:35   #848
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Well, it looks like the covert "keep one step ahead of the disgruntled customers" game has started, even before the Phorm system goes live on the VM network.
Anyone following this story from the beginning will have read quite early-on that you could at least partially block the functionality (if not the spying part) of the system by blocking a specific domain. 7 days ago, this domain was clearly identified on the www.webwise.com FAQs as "OIX.net" and so I diligently added it to the blocked domains list of my router.
Guess what? I checked back with the same page this morning, and the same FAQ no longer lists "OIX.net" as the domain to block; it now lists "www.webwise.net".
As I pointed out in a (much) earlier post, it will be SO easy for Phorm to change the name of the server in their system, thus bypassing everyone's block. On this occasion, they've buried this change in their FAQs, but in the future, they may well not even do that.
It is becoming clear that if we want to even hinder their system on our connections, we're going to have to constantly check what they're up to and what connections are being made by our browsers - a full time job in itself.

And this Company expects us to trust them.
Both oix.net & webwise.com resolve to 88.208.248.102

That's not to say they won't change it again in the future...