View Single Post
Old 27-08-2012, 19:32   #5
stewarth
Inactive

Services: 60MB Broadband TV (L) TiVo Phone (XL)
stewarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HomePlug problems when PC & Adaptor in same wall socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtinguish View Post
I had the same problem with my TP Link homeplugs, so I have now got the homeplug directly into the wall socket and the pc etc. plugged into a 3 metre surge protected extension lead.
Thanks - I'll get a decent surge lead & give it a go. Should probably have one anyway.

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Do you have different ring mains for your sockets? I've found in the past that this sort of device only works well if the sockets are on the same ring.
The two adapters are on different rings (one upstairs one down) & worked fine in one bedroom, when we moved the PC the other bedroom it stopped working properly.

I have just had a look at the socket in the room where it worked fine & that socket is on a ring circuit, whereas in the new room the socket is a spur.

Do you think that being on a spur might cause problems?

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Your PC has mains noise suppression filters in its power supply. These will shunt noise and high frequency signals (which is what the HomePlug uses).
This will have less of an effect the further the PC filters are away from the source (HomePlug) due to inductance in the mains cabling. The reactance increases with distance and you ideally need a large amount of reactance between both devices.

I have just had a look at the socket in the room where it worked fine & that socket is on a ring circuit, whereas in the new room the socket is a spur.

Do you think that being on a spur might cause problems?
stewarth is offline   Reply With Quote